Monday, June 20, 2005

1st missive from the vampire rabbit

Dear Folks,

Here's the site, and here are your comments:

*

Nadja:

I agree with the comments of the others. I'm sorry I haven't replied in time. Part of the reason for not replying was that I'm actually very glad with the translations, so I don't have serious comments. The only thing I would like to change is to remove the dedications in two of my poems (Russian Monument and Fairy Lights). Still, I have some problems with the rhythm of Georgi's "Hey,Jude", but I'm not sure we can do much in this direction. I checked Adorno's sites in the Internet and I've found that most probably words in brackets should be "untotal" and "nonidentical". I will check again all the stuff till next Friday, and I will write if I feel the urge of changing / questioning something else.

I hope this finds you well over there! Do you have any plans of when exactly four of you would like to come next year for the translation of your poems, so we can start orrganising things as early as possible?

Very best wishes,

n.

*

Andy:

Four small points.

First, Nadya's 'Russian Monument' would read better as 'the ministry of agriculture'.

Second, in Kristin's 'Arts on Slaveikov Square' 'dishevelled' should be 'disheveled'.

Third, what's with the square brackets in Nadya's 'Glass' ?

Fourth, I suggest we put the source of Georgi's faux-epigraphs (Gaustin) in
brackets, so that this information is separated from both epigraph and
poem.

*

Kristin:

I was wondering - if it's not too late to ask - whether one would know that the "magi" and the "prophets" in the poem "Times", Andymark p. 20, are the same people. In Bulgarian it is the almost same thing. If this is not obvious in English, may I suggest instead of "prophets", the
"seers", or "wise men"? And there is an interval on p. 20, between "I take mine black" and "2002: An Odyssey". I am saying it just in case the computer guy is as wise as ours and suddenly decides that both lines are the same.

*

Vassil (first paragraph refers to the file, which I'll attach as soon as I've worked out how):

I've made some corrections - my suggestions are marked with [red, bold, underline] all together. And my comments are in the balloons... I changed line-brakes and indents in The Caucuses as they are in Bulgarian original. I am not quite sure that "The Caucuses"
sounds in English as it is in Bulgarian. I think it's the most difficult one and I am really
not sure what feeling it produces. But maybe we can leave it like that. You should say that.

I have one question:

Is it possible to add poem "A.". I brought it to Newcastle but we didn`t have enough time to check it. It is short and up to now I have 9 pages. Besides that I think (if we are going to use "A."): it would be clearer that the other poem "V." corresponds with "A." (I have several poems
with alphabet titles). "A." can be at the beginning. And "V." at the end... For example... The real problem is that Boris didn`t translate this poem (though he saw it), and we didn`t work on
it. But if it is ok, I will be glad.

*

No comments: